“Growing with the Community since 1770”

The first Bradford to appear in the parish register was during the reign of Henry VIII and now, Bradfords is a privately held company with c.145 shareholders.

Older Bradfords branches are located near railway stations, which was the fastest method of distribution for our products in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Today Bradfords Building Supplies Ltd has 49 branches throughout the South West, Herefordshire and Worcestershire and is one of Britain's leading names in the building supplies industry.

1750

William Bradford owned quarries in Pilsbury producing lime for fertilizer

Where It All Began...

1853

Jabez Bradford started the Yeovil branch of the business

The First Branch

1893

 Bradfords were incorporated after being operational for 120 years

Incorporation

1936

Philip Bradford joined the board and saw a boom in the building and timber businesses up until the outbreak of WWII

Business Boom

1963

Substantial investment in an animal feeds business

Diversifying

1970s

Bradfords add a light side to the business – kitchen and bathroom showrooms

The animal feeds business sold and a restructure of company to include Bradfords Building Supplies

Lightside

1980s and 90s

1983 new branches were opened at Exeter and Taunton. Slades of Evercreech, was purchased.  

Further acquisitions in 1990 with the purchase of May & Wills in Redruth and Kemps in Ross-on-Wye. A branch was opened in Ledbury in 1998 along with a further acquisition (Underwoods) in 2000 giving another two branches in Malvern and Worcester.

 

Acquisition of Snows Timber

2005/6

New branches opened in Newton Abbot, Trowbridge and Weston-Super-Mare.

Expansion

2007

Crendon Timber Engineering purchased

Acquisition of Crendon Timber Engineering

2008

Acquisition of Totem Timber, now known as the St Austell branch.

Further Expansion

2011

10 kitchen and bathrooms showrooms were modernised across branches. 

New Markets

2012

Acquisition of two Burdens branches (now BBS Dorchester and Cinderford branches)

More Acquisitions

2013

We opened our Exmouth ‘super branch’. 

Re-Brand

2014

BBS acquires Blandford Timber and launches online trading website

Retail Website Launch

2015

 BBS acquires Hilton Building Supplies, Julians Building Supplies, Ashmead Building Supplies and YPS.

Growth

2016

Bradfords continues to grow in, opening a number of new branches, including Martock, Wareham, Bude & Andover. 

New Branches

2017

BBS acquire a branch in Dawlish!  

Trade Website