Bradfords is a distributor of building materials and timber products for use in the building industry. We continually seek to improve our environmental performance and reduce any adverse impacts on the environment, in addition to complying fully with all relevant statutory Regulations.
Bradfords will seek to minimise any disturbance to the local environment and to the quality of life of the local communities within which the Company operates.
Where possible we will source products for resale from suppliers who have a sound Environmental Policy.
We also recognise Forest Forever Environmental Timber Purchasing Policy which states our commitment to sourcing all timber from sustainable and legal sources and we will seek evidence of compliance from suppliers that they are operating within the laws of their Country.
Bradfords will continually seek to source and supply environmentally sound building products as an option to standard products. Training is given to staff to improve awareness of these products.
We will endeavour, within the constraints of good commercial practice, to use recycled paper and card in administrative and clerical services.
We will reduce consumption of energy for heating and lighting by use of energy audits.
Bradfords will comply with all relevant waste disposal legislation and seek to significantly reduce or eliminate waste. In addition, any waste removed from our premises is traced to final disposal. Most is sorted to ensure all possible recycling is carried out. We will support and encourage behaviour that improves environmental awareness across the group. In recognition of this, we support local Waste Minimisation Groups.
When selecting and servicing plant and vehicles, emphasis will be placed on environmental factors and energy requirements. In utilisation, cost effective routing will be balanced against customer service.
Our Environmental Policy commits the organisation at all levels to ensure;
• Ensure that we have an adequately trained workforce able to implement our Environmental Policy through regular communication of objectives and action plans.
• Identify any risk of pollution arising from our activities, products and/or services, eliminate or effectively control such risk to meet or exceed all regulatory environmental requirements.
• Reduce to a minimum the unnecessary use of materials, resources and energy. Reduce to a minimum the environmental effect on all future developments and carry out an appraisal of the environmental effect of sourcing raw materials.
• Reduce waste to the lowest practical level, ensuring responsible disposal of waste created and received, undertake environmental audits, measuring results against established targets.
• Set and monitor targets throughout the business to;
- Reduce waste.
- Increase recycling.
- Reduce energy consumption and the use of water.
- Ensure that all plant and vehicles are properly used and maintained.
• Advocate employee involvement in all environmental matters, providing relevant training and support to all employees with regard to this policy.
• Minimise any adverse environmental effects caused as a result of our activities, products and/or services adopting the principle of BATNEEC (Best Available Techniques Not Entailing Excessive Costs).
• Ensure persons working on our behalf are made aware of and agree to comply with this policy.
• Seek to ensure that products and/or services supplied or provided by third parties can be used, handled, stored and/or disposed of in a manner which safeguards the environment and the health and safety of all.
• Ensure that all of our Timber Products purchased are from PEFC accredited suppliers, thus maintaining the Chain of Custody for these products.
• Meet, and where possible, exceed all the environmental legislation which applies to the Company.
• Undertake a review of this policy in the light of new knowledge, changing legislation or public concerns.
The Directors, Management and Staff are all committed to the implementation of this policy.