Bradfords is the UK's longest-established builders merchants.
Founded in 1770 by William Bradford in the Somerset hamlets of Thorney and Pibsbury, the business was based on selling limestone to farmers before diversifying into coal, agriculture and building materials. With the advent of the railway in the mid-1800's, a head office was established on the site of the present building in Yeovil and many local depots moved closer to this major new supply line.
Over the next century, Bradfords expanded and consolidated its position as a general builder's merchants supplying everthing from foodstuffs and chemical fertilizers to bricks and coal - a diversity of products that ensured Bradfords survival through two world wars. Today, Bradfords is one of the UK's leading independent builders merchants.